Rouse Jesse [Male] b. ABT 1740 Duplin County, North Carolina
THE FIRST GENERATION
John Rausch, the first known in Virginia to whom we can trace our ancestry with any degree of certainty, patented 610 acres of land on the First Fork of the Rapidan River, September 28, 1728 adjoining the land of Thomas Wayland, Spotsylvania County. Grant Bk. 14, pg 110. He died prior to October 8, 1730 when Mary Rausch, widow, and Martin, Matthias and Adam Rausch were granted 318 acres of land by Lord Fairfax near the land of Michael Holt (Culpepper County Grants Bk G, pg 423). The widow, Mary Rausch evidently died prior to March 13, 1763, for on that date Matthias Rauch and wife, Elizabeth deeded to Martin Rausch the land granted to Mary Rausch in 1730, and after her decease the land was to be possessed by her sons, Matthias, Martin and Adam. (Culpepper Co. Deed Bk D, pg 463);
In the early history of Orange County three men by the name of Rausch are mentioned: William, Edward and John.
William sold land to Peter Weaver on October 1, 1734, and Edward declared his importation in 1733 but nothing more of record has been found on William and Edward so we can assume they did not settle in this part of Virginia. In early Spotsylvania County records John Rausch of St. George parish, Mary, wife of John acknowledged her widow May 4, 1731 (Crozier, 1933, pg 117).
John Raussen is mentioned in 1733 in Hebron Lutheran Church accounts (Orange Co. W B 1 pg 34,37). In 1739 there were 2 tithables in his family indicating a son born 1723, probably his oldest son Matthias, Mrs. Lloyd gives the sons of John Rouse as Matthias, Martin and Samuel but this evidently is in error according to “The Germanna Record” Number Six, 1963, by Charles H. Huffman, as given above.
In the private papers of Emma Rouse Lloyd in Cincinnati, was found the result of research she apparently had had done in Germany about 1932 which is not included in her book. There were also other notes, letters and information which later research had proven to be correct.
The name Rausch has been variously spelled - Rausch, Rousch, Raussen, Rouse. Until about 1840 both German and English spellings were used, often several spellings in the same document. Early records of the Hebron Church in Virginia and the Hopeful Church in Kentucky are in German, but after about 1840 only the English spelling is used.
This Josias Hindon had a brother, Richard, probably older than Josias. Richard was indentured to Nicholas Rogers, who mentions Josias in his will, and wills him a set of cooper's tools. This means that Josias was trained to make barrels, caskets, ect. He was in bondage intill 21 years old to a Cooper.
Source
Title: Strahan Family Reunion .FTW
Source
Title: Strahan Family Reunion .FTW
Source
Title: Strahan Family Reunion .FTW
Source
Title: Strahan Family Reunion .FTW
Source
Title: Strahan Family Reunion .FTW
Source
Title: Strahan Family Reunion .FTW
38th Inf Reg't, Co. C ( Hancock Rebels) , CSA
This HTML database was produced by a registered copy of GED4WEB version 4.41
Copyright 2018 Kevin Spiers